Today’s healthcare teams face a growing need for interprofessional collaboration, creative problem solving, and impactful leadership training to drive organizational performance. SYNC is an innovative, team-based learning experience that teaches collaboration and leadership through hands-on problem solving.
“While we were a relatively close group, we bonded even more, which lets us more easily move issues forward and gives us a cohesive voice.” (CMO Participant)
“I loved SYNC and how it was a catalyst in having us examine our processes and find ways to improve leadership that directly impacted patient care.” (Hospital Participant)
Scholarships Available through the Virginia Department of Health
- Full SYNC program tuition, travel and hotel reimbursement is available to teams through the Virginia Department of Health and the Medical Society of Virginia Foundation. Note: the tuition cost of SYNC is valued at $7,500 per team.
- In exchange, teams agree to focus their SYNC Capstone Project in one of the following areas: 1) Diabetes / Pre-diabetes, 2) Hypertension/High Blood Cholesterol/Heart Disease/Stroke, or 3) Cancer interventions.
- Each project will be subject to a set of required data reporting for tracking, trending, and analysis purposes.
- For a complete list of projects, measures or to discuss an idea further, visit the Registration page and begin the registration process.
- All submissions will be reviewed by VDH staff to determine scholarship eligibility. A notice of approval will be provided by the Medical Society of VA Foundation within 1 week of submission. Capstone Projects may be refined prior to Session 2.
- Questions may also be directed to Patrick Wiggins, Disease Prevention Strategist at Patrick.Wiggins@vdh.virginia.gov.
- The core of SYNC’s program is built around four hands-on workshops where teams learn about interprofessional collaboration and leadership from our nationally recognized faculty of field practitioners and our knowledgeable support staff.
- Throughout the program, participants have access to SYNC faculty and the SYNC learning portal, which provides resources including curated literature, presentations, and additional training materials.
- SYNC is an immersive learning experience for healthcare teams of 2-5 participants, ranging from practice managers and CMOs to pharmacists and LPNs.
- Organizations are allowed to send more than one team, but each team must include a physician and registered nurse in addition to other clinical and administrative staff you choose to send.
Teams get the chance to put the latest developments in interprofessional collaboration, leadership fundamentals, and creative problem solving to use during the SYNC Capstone Project.
- Capstone projects let each team identify a current challenge in their organization or community, apply concepts from SYNC, and implement a real-world solution.
- During the final workshop, teams have a chance to present their solution to faculty and SYNC participants.
- Examples of previous Capstone Projects include:
- Promoting community hypertension management
- Building an interprofessional care consultation team for complex cases
- Creating a community campaign to reduce AMI / coronary death
- Improving patient flow for ED-admitted patients
- Increasing community breast cancer screenings
- Streamlining a prescription refill process
2019-20 SYNC TOPICS
SYNC participants will strengthen their knowledge and competencies in:
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Leadership Fundamentals
- 21st-Century Healthcare
- Creative Problem Solving
- Individual and Team Wellness
2019-20 SYNC SESSIONS
All in-person SYNC sessions are held in Richmond from 8 am to 5 pm at the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association offices.
- Kickoff Reception – Evening of September 26
- Session 1 – September 27
- Session 2 – October 25
- Session 3 – November 22
- Session 4 – March 6, 2020
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
Continuing Medical Education credits will be posted when the application has been approved
Continuing Nursing Education will be awarded commensurate with participation. Virginia Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- The tuition cost of SYNC is $7500 per team (meals included).
- Travel costs are the responsibility of participants.
- Details of the tuition assistance can be viewed here.
- See the section on Tuition Cost and Tuition Assistance above.
LEARN MORE ABOUT SYNC
- To learn more about SYNC, contact Amy Swierczewski at email@example.com or 804377-1053.