Today’s healthcare teams face a growing need for interprofessional collaboration, creative problem solving, and impactful leadership training to drive organizational performance. SYNC is an innovative, team-based learning experience that teaches collaboration and leadership through hands-on problem solving.
“While we were a relatively close group, we bonded even more, which lets us more easily move issues forward and gives us a cohesive voice.” (CMO Participant)
“I loved SYNC and how it was a catalyst in having us examine our processes and find ways to improve leadership that directly impacted patient care.” (Hospital Participant)
Scholarships Available through the Virginia Department of Health
- A limited number of scholarships to cover full SYNC program tuition are available to qualifying teams from the Virginia Department of Health through a grant from the Center for Disease Control. Note: the tuition cost of SYNC is valued at $5,500 per team.
- In exchange, Scholarship teams agree to focus their SYNC Capstone Project in one of the following areas: 1) Diabetes / Pre-diabetes, or 2) Hypertension/High Blood Cholesterol/Heart Disease/Stroke.
- Each project will be subject to a set of required data reporting for tracking, trending, and analysis purposes.
- For a complete list of projects, measures or to discuss an idea further, visit the Registration page and begin the registration process.
- All submissions will be reviewed by VDH staff and a phone conference will be scheduled to further discuss project ideas and terms of funding.
- Questions may also be directed to Patrick Wiggins, Disease Prevention Strategist at Patrick.Wiggins@vdh.virginia.gov.
Register or Learn More:
- Register for SYNC 2020-21
- View and download the SYNC Brochure
- View Tuition Assistance Details
- Browse the SYNC Capstone Project Portfolio
- Having Trouble Getting Leadership to Sign Off on Educational Opportunities?
- Email Template to Leadership Requesting Participation
- Questions? Contact Amy Swierczewski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-377-1053
- The core of SYNC’s program is built around workshops where teams learn about interprofessional collaboration and leadership from our nationally recognized faculty of field practitioners and our knowledgeable support staff.
- Throughout the program, participants have access to SYNC faculty and the SYNC learning portal, which provides resources including curated literature, presentations, and additional training materials.
- Participants sharpen their individual skills while building an interdisciplinary team built on each member’s strengths.
- SYNC is an immersive learning experience for healthcare teams of participants, ranging from practice managers and CMOs to pharmacists and LPNs.
- Each team must include a physician and registered nurse in addition to other clinical and administrative staff you choose to send.
- Teams learn together and tackle issues collectively with a new interdisciplinary lens and toolkit of skills.
Teams get the chance to put the latest developments in interprofessional collaboration, leadership fundamentals, and creative problem solving to use during the SYNC Capstone Project.
- Capstone projects let each team identify a current challenge in their organization or community, apply concepts from SYNC, and implement a real-world solution.
- During the final workshop, teams present their project and share their learnings with the cohort.
- Examples of previous Capstone Projects include:
- Promoting community hypertension management
- Building an interprofessional care consultation team for complex cases
- Creating a community campaign to reduce AMI / coronary death
- Improving patient flow for ED-admitted patients
- Increasing community breast cancer screenings
- Streamlining a prescription refill process
2020-21 SYNC TOPICS
SYNC participants will strengthen their knowledge and competencies in:
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Leadership Fundamentals
- 21st-Century Healthcare
- Creative Problem Solving
- Individual and Team Wellness
2020-21 SYNC SESSIONS
All sessions will be virtual from 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- October 2, 2020
- October 23
- November 13
- December 11
- January 8, 2021
- January 29
- March 5* possible in-person session
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
Continuing Medical Education credits will be posted when the application has been approved
Continuing Nursing Education will be awarded commensurate with participation. Virginia Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- The tuition cost of SYNC is $5,500 per team.
- Details of the tuition assistance can be viewed here.
LEARN MORE ABOUT SYNC
- To learn more about SYNC, contact Amy Swierczewski at email@example.com or 804377-1053.